Chicken, coconut and corn soup
Rich and creamy all the way. This is the perfect winter warmer soup or if you are like me, anytime of the year soup.
- 1kg free-range chicken pieces (skin on)
- 8 cups of water
- A bunch of celery leaves and stalks chopped
- 2 medium onions
- Garlic to taste (I used about 4 cloves, crushed)
- Small bunch of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp of mixed herbs
- 3 carrots chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Smoked paprika to taste
- 1 tsp chicken stock
- 1 cup of coconut milk (I through in the whole can but if you like a thicker consistency just stick to a cup)
- 1 can of sweetcorn
Brown the chicken in your choice of oil with the paprika and tsp of chicken stock powder. Add the salt and pepper.
Add the water, celery, onions, garlic, thyme, mixed herbs and carrots.
Cook until the meat falls off the bone, adding more water if needed (about 1 – 2 hours). Remove the bones and add the coconut milk and sweetcorn. Taste to see if there is enough salt and pepper (I added more pepper). Heat the soup until it just starts to boil and then remove from the stove.
Serve warm with a piece of fresh bread (if you are not counting the carbs).